After four or so years of inactivity I decided I'd give the website an overhaul. I registered a new, better-looking domain (ebens.me) and over the past couple weeks I've programmed a new system and ported over the majority of the content from the previous website (nova-fusion.com). The main noteworthy features are a revamped games section and new photo gallery showcasing some of the photos I've taken over the past few years.
As good as Jekyll (what the old website ran on) was, it had become cumbersome for me. Regenerating and uploading the website after each change took longer with each new piece of content and eventually became too much for me to bother. Besides this, I wanted greater and easier flexibility for different types of content; perhaps Jekyll has improved here, as it's been a long time since I've kept up-to-date with the project. That said, my favourite about Jekyll was being able to update a site based on text files, so I incorporated that functionality into the new system. Files are pushed to the server using Git and the server updates its database using the diff produced by the push. It's convenient and Git pushes are often quicker than comparative SFTP uploads.
The front-end also received an overhaul. The previous website used the Blueprint CSS framework, which hasn't been updated since 2011. For the new site I've used the far more modern Bulma and created a new, cleaner interface which supports both desktop and mobile screens.
There's still a few things to add and smooth out, but overall the site is in a better and easier to use place than it was before.